- Cheer positively for great play for both teams. This is one of many ways we can demonstrate good sportsmanship to our players and opponents.
- Please do not under ANY circumstances interfere with the referees. MYLA rules state that if a parent is ejected from the field, the Head Coach must leave the field, too. Additionally, it’s pretty embarrassing for the kids.
- No parents are allowed on the team side of the field. The only exception to this is if your child is hurt and you are called over.
- NEVER negatively approach the coach during or after the game about anything. They have their contact information listed. Please contact them after you have gotten home. Our coaches are volunteers that are giving up their time to help develop your children into good lacrosse players and respectful athletes. Please treat them with the same dignity and respect that we expect of them.
- Repeat occurrences of poor sideline behavior will lead to dismissal from the game and could lead to termination from the program.
- Please do not coach your child from the sidelines. While you’re busy screaming “You’re hot!” the coach cannot effectively communicate to the players on the field. This becomes extremely confusing and frustrating to players and coaches alike.
- There are NO NCAA SCHOLARSHIPS being awarded during your child’s recreational level game play. Please let the coaches coach and the referees call the game.
- Not all of our competition will handle themselves with the same type of sportsmanship. Be ready to move your chair to get away from the provokers at other games.
- Enjoy watching your child and their friends play lacrosse!
- Please be prompt and reliable. As a Head Coach, you are taking on the responsibility of being at every game and practice. If a scheduling conflict should arise, please make sure you reach out to your Assistant Coach and Program Director to help.
- Please copy your Program Director on all of your team emails. Don’t worry about clogging their inbox. They will decide what is important and what isn’t.
- Do not change your practice location unless approved by your Director. The Field Coordinator works tirelessly to make sure each team has the proper fields at the proper times. What may seem like an easy change to you could cause difficulty to other teams and/or parents.
- As a Head Coach, we want you to maintain open lines of communication with your parents and the SCYLAX Board. Need paint, balls or other equipment? Just let us know and we’re happy to get you what you need.
- Should a problem with a parent arise, do not engage. Please refer them to your Program Director and make sure they are copied on the email. The Program Director will take it from there and, if necessary, the SCYLAX Board as well. It is extremely important that this policy is followed.
- Decisions on field conditions for practices and game play are made solely at the discretion of the Program Director and not by the coaches. Program Directors will make every effort to contact you with a decision by 3pm.
- In the event a game needs to be cancelled due to inclement weather, please notify Program Director as soon as possible. If your team is playing within MYLA, they are very specific in how this is handled.
- Know the important dates for your team and how they impact your game and/or practice schedule. There will always be things like chorus concerts, church events and outdoor school to throw a wrench in the plans. The earlier you identify these issues the better.
- Be a role model, be encouraging and have FUN!
Parent Handbook for Boys Youth Lacrosse
An excellent and comprehensive look at boys Lacrosse, published by US Lacrosse. The handbook includes a game overview, field setup, equipment involve, and fouls of the game. Most importantly the handbook provides guidelines that will parents to provide a positive season for every person involved with the league. Please take a moment to read the handbook.
Fitting Guide for Boys and Girls Equipment
Parents should review this fitting guide before the season to ensure your player has the best fitting equipment possible. The fitting guide is published by US Lacrosse. Please take a moment to read the guide.
Maryland Youth Lacrosse Association (MYLA) Rules
The MYLA follows Federation rules for Boys. The rules are modified with the exeptions listed on the MYLA website.
Tyker rules for the Carroll/Baltimore County (CarBalCo) league. This applies to SCYL boys Tyker division.
Field Information for Boys Programs
Positive Coaching Alliance uses an acronym, ELM (Effort, Learning, Mistakes are OK), to keep coaches, athletes and parents mindful of a Mastery focus. This is a discipline to focus on effort, learning, and recovering from mistakes. You can read more about ELM from the Postive Coach Alliance as well reading this PDF file.
Double Coach Job Description
The Positive Coaching Alliance, acknowledges that while winning is important, it is more important that coaches teach life lessons through sports. A coach that focuses on both of these outcomes is describe as a Double-Goal Coach® by the Positive Caching Alliance. Read more about being aDouble-Goal Coach® from the Postive Coach Alliance as well reading this PDF file.
Skills and Drills
Please be advised that after January 1, 2018, South Carroll Youth Lacrosse will not refund any Season Registration Fees. We understand that after this date, extenuating circumstances may arise, request for refunds will be dealt with on a case by case basis, and at the complete discretion of the South Carroll Youth Lacrosse Board of Directors. A $30 Administrative Fee will be deducted from any registration refunds given prior to January 1, 2018.
ADA STATEMENT: The Americans with Disabilities Act applies to the Carroll County Government and its programs, services, activities, and facilities. Anyone requiring an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication or who has a complaint should contact Madeline M. Morey, The Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator, 410.386.3800, 1.888.302.8978, MD Relay 7-1-1/1.800.735.2258 or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible but no later than 72 hours before the scheduled event.
Please visit Carroll County Parks and Rec:
Please visit MYLA for any league info:
President: Meg Burnisky email@example.com
Vice President: Sean Chaney firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Kelly Duncan email@example.com
Member at Large: Jim Hitchcock firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls Director: Heather James email@example.com
Asst. Girls Director: Mike Wink firstname.lastname@example.org
Asst. Girls Director: Nic Bonacci email@example.com
Boys Director: Ed Wefelymeyer firstname.lastname@example.org
Asst. Boys Director: Travis Burnisky email@example.com
Equipment Coordinator: Greg Edwards firstname.lastname@example.org
Field Coordinator: Rich Dexter email@example.com
Fundraising Coordinator: Heather James firstname.lastname@example.org